This is a community-driven one-for-all Crunch build guide. You are welcome to update it if you see any aspect of his gameplay is missed. All updates are moderated. Feel free to read this Crunch Guide through and ask your questions here or at our Discord server.
Last updated on Apr-09: Added video on escaping with Forward Crunch.
Table of Contents
- Abilities Analysis
- Deck Considerations
- Build #1
- Build #2
- Heroes Synergy
TL;DR on Crunch
Crunch is a melee fighter with a unique combo system. Utilizing each of his abilities Crunch is capable of fluidly chaining combos together to quickly scrap his opponents.
Focus on buying cards increasing your power, attack speed and mana.
Forward Crunch will launch crunch forward stopping on the first enemy hero hit dealing damage.
Left Crunch is a left hook the deals increased cleave damage
Right Crunch will slow enemies hit.
And finally your ultimate is Re-Crunch. Re-crunch repeats the last ability used opening up more possible combos. Re-crunch also has two passive components. First: landing basic attacks will shave time off your active cooldowns. Second: every third ability used will be empowered. When empowered
- Forward Crunch will drag enemies the full distance of the charge.
- Left Crunch will deal a whopping 100% cleave damage
- Right Crunch will knockup enemies
Chaining abilities together can create fluid combos that can easily crush your opponents. However missing an ability will break your combo causing Crunch to stagger. Landing abilities is the only thing that will allow you to quickly continue chaining combos together.
- If you're looking for a hard engage try using Forward Crunch, Left Crunch then Right Crunch. This will get you into the fight and allow you to send enemies flying with a powerful uppercut.
- For maximum carnage try Right Crunch, Left Crunch then Re-Crunch. This will allow you to cleave twice dealing a huge burst of damage
With 24 possible combos Crunch has an answer to any and all problems standing in his way.
Every third ability used is empowered - there is visual indication of an empowered ability. When you see Crunche's arms glow red then expect next ability to be empowered.
Playing Crunch you have to keep that 3-step combo mindset. You have to have to clearly understand which ability you want to have empowered and execute according to that plan.
Lore of Crunch
- Shots to his harddrive have corrupted most memories. Not sure which ones are real.
- Feigns inactivity when being graffitied. Likes the attention.
- Once KO'd a Gorzop, a Demonox and a Giga-Tanker with a single uppercut.
- Good burst damage.
- Massive hit-box. Dodging bullets? Forget it.
Crunch's Abilities Analysis
Melee basic attack dealing Basic Damage.
- Base damage is 58 and increases by 0.8 each Hero level up to 69.2 at level 15.
- Attack speed increases with Hero level.
- Ability Card scaling factor is 70%.
Dash forward 1250 units, dealing Ability Damage, stopping upon hitting an enemy hero.
Empowered: Dash 1500 units, pushing enemy heroes on contact. In other words Crunch drags enemies the full distance of the charge.
- Base damage is 40 and increases by 40 each ability level up to 160 at level 4.
- Cooldown is 12 seconds on all ability levels.
- Base cost is 65 Mana and increases by 5 each ability level up to 80 Mana at level 4.
- Ability Card scaling factor is 25%.
Initiation and escape tool. Combined with Re-Crunch can do a lot of troubles you your enemy since it can help you to initiate a fight from far away or to make an unexpected escape. In this aspect Forward Crunch is similar to Shinbi's Rushing Beat.
Forward Crunch locks your camera in position of movement until your dash is finished. You may loose vision of your opponents while dashing.
Can potentially be used to displace an enemy into an allied tower's range or for wave clear however it does not do much damage being again mostly a movement tool.
If possible during a fight try to get behind your enemy and make an Empowered Forward Crunch to isolate him from his team for a quick and inevitable execution.
Deals Ability Damage to enemies with bonus Cleave rating.
Empowered: Deals 25% bonus Ability Damage with bonus Cleave rating.
- Base damage is 75 and increases by 50 each ability level up to 225 at level 4.
- Empowered Cleave rating starts with 70% and increases by 10% each ability level to 100% at level 4.
- Cooldown is 6 seconds on all ability levels.
- Cost is 30 Mana on all ability levels.
- Ability Card scaling factor is 75%.
When maxed out deals the same damage to any enemy in range (cleave 100%). A huge helper for a close combat or for clearing minions (both lane and jungle). Scales pretty well.
Deals Ability Damage and applies a Slow.
Empowered: Deals 25% bonus Ability Damage and knocks up enemies instead of slowing them.
- Base damage is 70 and increases by 35 each ability level up to 205 at level 4.
- Slow effect starts with 200 and increases by 50 each Hero level up to 350 at level 4.
- Cooldown is 10 seconds on all ability levels.
- Cost is 40 Mana on all ability levels.
- Ability Card scaling factor is 50%.
Not an outstanding damage-dealing ability but it helps you to keep your enemies close. When empowered disables your enemies in the very same way as Steel does with his Shield Slam. Empowered Right Crunch is an AOE ability so it can deliver a knockup to multiple grouped enemies at once. It can be very useful when you are diving an enemy team and disabling a couple of opponents at once. Another case is when you are defending your tower or inhibitor and an enemy receives focus fire from the structure. With an empowered Right Crunch you will prevent them from getting away and will potentially secure a kill.
As for the combo with other abilities it's good to go like
- Forward Crunch > Right Crunch > Re-Crunch
- Forward Crunch > Left Crunch > Right Crunch
Both ways you are initiating from the distance and finishing up with a knockup.
Instantly repeat the last ability used.
Passive: active cooldown reduction (CDR) on all abilities for every Basic attack landed.
Passive: Every third ability used will be Empowered if used within 10 seconds.
- Base CDR is 0.4 seconds and increases by 0.3 each ability level up to 1 seconds at level 3.
- Base cooldown is 20 seconds and decreases by 5 each ability level down to 10 seconds at level 4.
- Cost is 50 Mana on all ability levels.
Since it copies your last ability Re-Crunch can be very versatile. E.g. combined with Forward Crunch it can give you an escape ability no any other Hero has.
Crunche's arms start glowing right after using a second ability meaning the next one is going to be empowered.
"Empowered" passive has a cooldown of about 10 seconds. So if you are not fighting Crunch is going to get out from his Empowered mode and you will have to count to three all over again.
Crunch's Deck Considerations
Mana. Crunch is hungry for mana and if you don't want to mess up your combo due to lack of it then consider building big enough Mana pool.
Basic attacks and Left Crunch scale well with damage, grab Power Cards.
Core Cards for Crunch
Sage's Siphon - standard starting Card for a jungler Crunch
Madstone Gem - Early game card with both Power and Attack speed
Crunch Build #1 (Jungler)
Crunch Build #2 (Coming soon)
Gameplay with Crunch
Crunch can be a pretty good solo laner or a jungler. Your 1st goal is to get to level 5 to unlock Ultimate. It will open CDR during a fight and of course empowered abilities.
Your mana pool early game is going to be low so save your abilities for a gank or an escape.
Always keep in mind what ability you want to have empowered. When you start fighting make sure you will be able to stick to your opponent to deliver a complete combo. Watch out for opponents with CC who can brake your combo.
While in the Jungle use Shadow Curtains to perform a perfect engagement with your Forward Crunch.
More description is coming soon...
Tips and Tricks with Crunch
- Put basic attacks in between of abilities when doing a combo. It will do higher DPS since recovery frames after abilities does not prevent from landing a Punch.
Heroes Synergy (Coming soon)
Crunch and Dekker
Name goes here
Description goes here. Description goes here. Description goes here. Description goes here. Description goes here. Description goes here. Description goes here.
Description goes here. Description goes here. Description goes here.
v38.3 (Mar-13 2017)
- Attack speed gain per level increased to 2.0 from 1.4
- Base damage gain per level reduced to 0.8 from 1
v38.0 (Feb-21 2017)
Right Crunch / Empowered Right Crunch
- Split abilities into different targeting modes.
- Quality of life improvement to match primary targeting.
- Slightly increased the length of the Empowered Right Crunch.