This is a community-driven one-for-all Murdock build guide. You are welcome to update it if you see any aspect of his gameplay is missed. All updates are moderated.
Last update May-13: updated to reflect changes from v40.0 (May-16 2017)
This guide is being updated to align with the Monolith update. Feel free to read it through and ask your questions here or at our Discord server.
Table of Contents
- Abilities Analysis
- Deck Considerations
- Build #1 (Balanced Crit + LS + AS)
- Build #2
- Heroes Synergy
- Murdock Updates
TL;DR on Murdock
Murdock is a Ranger who relies on his basic attacks to deal high single target damage. Murdock's abilities offer different types of utility and allow him to lane safely.
When playing Murdock, focus on Power and Critical Strike Chance.
Murdock may shoot slower than other Rangers but he hits like a truck.
Use your Static Trap to secure key pathways or control an area. Buckshot deals damage in a cone and can be used to push objectives. If an enemy decides to jump you, use your Move Along to knock them back.
Murdock's Ultimate, Long Arm of the Law, is a powerful laser that can hit enemies a lane away. It also passes through any enemy, object or terrain. Use your Ultimate to pick off low-health targets, push enemies back or even support allies in a teamfight.
Late game, approach fights carefully, analyze the threat and eliminate the enemy. Plan your attacks to get the upper hand on your enemy.
- High single target damage
- Versatile disengage tools
- Squishy as all ADCs
- Has no escape abilities at all.
Murdock's Abilities Analysis
Ranged basic attack dealing Basic Damage.
- Base damage is 58 and increases by 2 each Hero level up to 86 at level 15.
- Attack speed increases with Hero level.
- Ability Card scaling factor is 100%.
Fires a blast in a cone that deals Ability Damage and shreds Basic Armor for 4 seconds. Enemies damaged by Buckshot are pushed if they are within 700 units of Murdock (up to a maximum distance of 700 units away from Murdock).
- Base damage is 60 and increases by 45 each ability level up to 195 at level 4.
- Base cost is 50 Mana and increases by 10 each ability level up to 80 Mana at level 4.
- Base Basic Armor shred is 5 and increases by 5 each ability level up to 20 at level 4.
- Cooldown remains constant 10 seconds at all ability levels.
- Ability Card scaling factor is 60%.
This is a short range AOE damage ability with significant impact. It shreds Armor making your Plasma Bolt to hit harder and making enemy more vulnerable to any incoming Basic Damage.
Buckshot does not interrupt Plasma Bolt's reload time so you can use Bolt-Buckshot-Bolt without loosing fire rate.
It can also be used during Laning to clean waves of minions quickly.
[Passive]: Grants a Movement Speed buff when running at visible, Critically Wounded enemies within specified range.
- Base Movement Speed buff is 100 and increases by 50 each ability level up to 250 at level 4.
- Base Ability range is 3000 units and increases by 1000 each ability level up to 6000 units at level 4.
[Passive]: Grants Murdock’s next basic attack bonus range and Basic Penetration every short period of time seconds. This shot can miss, and if it does the cooldown is consumed.
- Base Bonus Basic Pen is 15 and increases by 15 each ability level up to 60 at level 4.
- Ability works every 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 seconds.
Murdock takes a knee and zooms in on a distant target. Upon confirming, Murdock fires a long range laser from his gun that passes through any enemy, object or terrain. Ignores Hero armor.
- Base damage is 180 and increases by 60 each ability level up to 300 at level 3.
- Base cooldown is 90 seconds and decreases by 10 each ability level down to 70 seconds at level 3.
- Cost remains constant 75 Mana at all ability levels.
- Ability Card scaling factor is 75%.
Long Arm of the Law can be used not only to support allies on a neighbor lane but also for picking off an enemy who has left a fight on low HP but didn't retreat too far to teleport to the base. If you manage to see this enemy you can shoot through anything and get a kill. In this regard if you have Morigesh in your team keep an eye on enemies affected by her Hive ability. It gives you vision and possibility to use your Ultimate effectively.
Additionally this ultimate can finish structures and although it is not what you normally want to do but using Long Arm of the Law on structures may bring you win. See an example below:
Murdock's Deck Considerations
Core Cards for Murdock
Murdock Build #1 (Balanced Crit + LS + AS)
‒ Impact Hammer (6)
Murdock Build #2 (Coming soon)
Gameplay with Murdock
As always it is good to take Red buff to help with early laning phase and receive quick CP. Use your Static Trap to ensure an enemy team is not ganking while your team is doing this objective. Early game it is easier to take either side lane since it is easier to cover ramps with Static Traps. In the middle lane you might need up to 5 traps to protect yourself.
When you get your ultimate you have possibility to join any teamfight while staying on a lane. Make sure your teammates know if you are going to rotate to join a teamfight or if you are planning to stay laning. One of your main goals in the mid game will be getting CP as fast as possible to be more impactful.
Time for joining teamfights if you are not doing so. If you have significant CP lead you will be melting down opponents. But make sure you have enough protection from your allies. Never dive in since your Move Along works OK against a single enemy but will not help against two or more unless you are extremely lucky guy.
Tips and Tricks with Murdock
- If you are about to use your Move Along try to aim so that your enemy is pushed towards a ledge. If you are lucky enough your enemy will fall and will not be able to continue chasing and hitting you.
- During laning phase cover lane ramps with Static Traps to prevent ganking
- When playing against Greystone and see his Reforged Ultimate Activated, put a Static Trap right on him so that he's instantly slowed down after coming back to life.
- Murdock works well with any support hero early game since they help to lane more effectively which gives advantage in the late game.
- Any Hero with Stun abilities is also a good combo since it minimizes possibility to miss Long Arm of the Law.
Murdock and Dekker
Dekker's Stasis Bomb makes a perfect target for landing a precise Long Arm of the Law. Prepare your ultimate in advance and monitor enemy movements. You will clearly see when Dekker applies her Bomb and an enemy she was able to hit. Land your ultimate instantly.
Murdock and Steel
Similar to what's described above for Dekker. When Steel charges up for his Shield Slam you need to select a target in range of his ultimate and shoot right when they are knockedup. Aim at legs so that you target is perfectly in the middle of your laser when they are back down to the ground.
v40.0 (May-16 2017)
- Has been removed.
- Has been removed.
- Has been reworked:
- Moved from Q / Primary to RMB / R1.
- Enemies damaged by Buckshot are pushed if they are within 700 units of Murdock (up to a maximum distance of 700 units away from Murdock).
- Damage range remains 1000 units.
New Ability: Hot Pursuit (Q / Primary)
- Passive: Grants an additional 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 Movement Speed when running at visible, Critically Wounded enemies within 3000 / 4000 / 5000 / 6000 units.
New Ability: Shots Fired! (E / Secondary)
- Passive: Grants Murdock’s next basic attack bonus range and 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 Basic Penetration every 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 seconds.
- This shot can miss, and if it does the cooldown is consumed.